Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A Reader in the Making?

Yesterday morning James (age 9-1/2) came downstairs into our bedroom reading a chapter book.

I always thought my kids would be readers, since I've always been a voracious lover of books of all sorts. Now, our kids all like books. They browse through books daily, enjoy library visits, don't mind books as gifts, and do their assigned reading without (much) complaining.

However, only Emily (age 12) has been reading novels for pleasure. David (age 14) prefers listening to audiobooks since he can work with Legos or other hands-on things at the same time, and he listens to something just about every day. He has read a few novels, but it isn't something he does regularly.

So, when James came sauntering in with a book in front of his face, I was cautiously hopeful. As the day progressed, he was reading just about every spare moment. He even took the book to a party we went to and finished reading it there. A whole chapter book in one day! By choice! Wheee!

And this morning? He's reading the second one in the series! I am overjoyed!

So, what's the magic series he's found? Hank the Cowdog by John Erickson. He got the first two for Christmas. Happily there are bunches and bunches more for him to read! A big THANK YOU to whomever it was that mentioned these books to me. I'd like to give you a big HUG.



4 comments:

Denise Bryant said...

That pic of him on the swing, reading, is priceless! Way to go, James!

Anonymous said...

I love it! Mom

Niffercoo said...

So cool! I think I have one of those in my box of books to sell. Does it have to be in order? I don't think this is one of the first ones. I'll send it to you, if you think he'd like it!

~Byn There said...

Happy dancing for you!! Way to go James.