Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Do your best, prepare for the worst....

This verse surprised me in my Bible reading this morning.

Proverbs 21:31 (The Message)
Do your best, prepare for the worst — then trust God to bring victory.

I have been reading The Message, which is a paraphrase. My hope is to get a fresh perspective on verses I have read over and over. This would be a good example. Here is the verse in a couple other translations:

NIV - The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the LORD.
KJV - The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD.

In The Message, we lose the horse, but retain the idea of preparation. Of course, preparation for battle would include doing your best. If you didn't do your best, you'd surely die. Sometimes you die anyway. But that brings on the second part. Victory is in the Lord's control.

OK, time for lessons! You'll have to draw your own parallels to home education. :-)

2 comments:

Luke Holzmann said...

The passages I've heard from The Message have been fascinating. I like getting a fresh perspective. Thanks for sharing.

~Luke

Holly said...

Lisa I wanted you to know I did go back and post another quick post about the benediction, I was a little off on the words but to me it has the same meaning :/ And I'm glad you figured out that I meant the last prayer not the first as the one I was speaking of was given by Joseph Lowery.