Monday, June 16, 2008

It's not "school."

You may notice that I avoid the words "home school" or "homeschooling" here on the Cornerstone Home Learning blog.

I don't "do" school at home.

The word conjures up images of textbooks, blackboards, rows of desks, tests, and more representations of traditional school-based education.

My children do not learn that way.

Tests are not a regular part of our learning process. We limit the textbooks and prefer to learn from real books (which are here in abundance). There are no desks - learning happens everywhere. Math is just as likely to be done sitting in the recliner or laying on the floor as at the table. I don't stand and teach at a blackboard (or a whiteboard), although the kids do use chalkboards and dry erase boards often.

For many people, the word "school" holds negative connotations. For just about everyone, hearing the word "school" brings up a set of expectations.

So, to remind myself, my family, and others of the intentional differences in our home learning and traditional school, I don't often use the word "school" but I do find many other ways to describe what we do.

Lessons.
Learning.
Home learning.
Education.
Taught at home.

It's freeing. Maybe you'll give it a try too!

5 comments:

Wee Pip said...

Hey, this is my first visit to your blog. I never knew you had some weekly reports up here:) Lisa, your kids are doing so well!!! Even without "school", LOL. I hadn't realized James was so far into MUS, and that's great he attempted Homer Price (I'm sure that's a difficult book - I read it to the kids a year ago and it challenged their comprehension). I bet Suzy is doing well with phonics; that's great she will finish up Alphabet Island this coming year. I think you've done so well with your kids and love seeing how you do...uh...learning at home (that isn't always at home, but you know what I mean, because it isn't "school");)

Sue said...

I love your perspective! I can't wait to use your suggestions of new ways to describe what we do, too!

I'm a home educator from your part of the state and saw your message on the Yahoo list today.

Denise Bryant said...

I like how you call it - learning at home!

Anonymous said...

Great home-learning blog, Lisa! I look forward to reading about your weekly adventures!

Mich.

Anonymous said...

Great home-learning blog, Lisa! I look forward to reading about your weekly adventures!

Mich.