Wednesday, August 29, 2012

American Literature

David and Emily are both taking American Literature at co-op this year, taught by someone who isn't me! LOL

This is a list of what they will be reading:

  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (they are reading this now)
  • The Simple Cobler of Aggawam by Nathaniel Ward
  • Sinners in the hands of an angry God by Jonathan Edwards
  • Letters from an American Farmer by J. Hector St. John de Crevecoeur
  • The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving
  • The Pit and the Pendulum by Edgar Allen Poe
  • The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe
  • Thanatopsis by William Cullen Bryant
  • Homeward Bound by James Fenimore Cooper
  • Civil Disobedience and other selections by Henry David Thoreau
  • The Gift of the Magi and The Ransom of Red Chief by O.Henry
  • Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
  • The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee


Whew! That's a lot, isn't it? A number of those selections I have not read before, so I will attempt to read them along with my high schoolers.

I may also have them read The Scarlet Letter to go along with the class. In their spare time. Haha

If the teacher provides assignments to go along with the reading selections, I will require those. If she does not, then I will require writing assignments every two weeks. I am also going to require a reading journal, which is something I've attempted before but not seen to fruition.

No comments: