Saturday, February 20, 2010

Winter Break to Shake Things Up

The upcoming week is going to be DIFFERENT here at Cornerstone. I am tired of the same-old, same-old, and so have decided to shake things up a bit.

Several schools around here had "Winter Break" and we usually don't do that enabling us to take off whenever we like in BEAUTIFUL spring and fall weather. However, I think this year, we need a break.

But I don't do well with unstructured time. So, I have chosen some fun learning activities to keep us moving forward this week but still allow us a break from the norm. Friday we have co-op, so we will have four days this week to enjoy this change. Then next week, I'm going to roll out some different learning activities to replace some of our boring ones.

So, this week will include:

MOVIES - aside from the normal entertainment movies, I've found a few educational videos to play (on our TEENSY television).
  • National Geographic: Animals in the Womb (DVD from library)
  • History Channel: Great Escapes of WW2 (DVD from library)
  • Francis: Knight of Assisi (VHS tape we own)
  • Ingmar Bergman's The Magic Flute (VHS we own, and I just realized it is in SWEDISH with English subtitles! That will be an adventure! lol)
GAMES - 2 per day, one chosen by the kids, one chosen by me.

ART PROJECTS
  • Origami (found my book and origami paper in a drawer)
  • Paper Snowflakes
  • Water Colors (just painting)
  • Creative Thinking Through Art (set of 2 books I own)
MAD LIBS

READ-ALOUD - We will begin a new book this week: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. This will be the first book I've read to them in more than a year that isn't one I've read before.

PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES
Sledding on Tuesday
Maybe swimming Friday night

We will probably keep our Bible routine going, since once we stop that, it's hard to get moving on it again. It's a centering way to begin our day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What time does homeschool break start? I'll drop Tommie off!

Mich