Friday, July 1, 2005

Over-run

My house is over-run!

With what?

With HOMESCHOOL CURRICULUM!

Ah, I can see you nodding your head in kinship. It is nearly certain that, if you have been homeschooling for a while, you too have experienced the avalanche of readers, workbooks, posters, textbooks, inspirational books, hands-on projects, science kits, and math manipulatives.

I have Cuisenaire rods taking over my back room, stacks of books for next year all over the piano, books for sale under the sewing machine cabinet, filing cabinets filled with stuff I "might need", art projects on every wall.... And again, I see you nodding! In fact, your head might slip from your shoulders as it nods so forcefully!

Then again, maybe you are looking at me in horror! You wonder how and why I let our learning take over our house
so thoroughly? Your homeschool supplies are all neatly organized in your schoolroom? You only buy exactly what
you need each year? You'd never affix an art project to your carefully cleaned walls?

There's nothing wrong with organization. I aspire to it myself. Someday. But, I am actually glad for the signs of the learning that goes on here each day. Anyone that enters can see that we make learning a priority. It's obvious that kids (homeschooled kids!) live here! And I'm glad for it!

And when I am tearing my hair out because of the mess the learning causes? Remind me that I LIKE IT! OK?

No comments: