Saturday, July 23, 2005

Language Arts

My unschooling side is showing. David is entering 5th grade this year and has never done a formal study of language (grammar, composition). We have done journal writing for years and last year we did some short assignments. Last year we also began Spelling Power. But he hasn't studied grammar, written poetry, written a book report, etc... He hasn't been ready until now.

So, this year we will begin. I had intended to use Shurley English, but I had a bad experience purchasing it used (never shipped) and I begin to think that it is God's way of saying, "Find something else, Lisa!"

So, I am on the hunt now. I may just end up putting together my own study, which I am comfortable doing. After all, I do have a BA degree in English, as well as teacher certification, also in English. However, I am after what is both easy and thorough.

I can tell you what I do not want to use. I do not want to use LLATL or Easy Grammar. I don't want to use Alpha Omega, Bob Jones, A Beka, Switched-on Schoolhouse or any of the other myriad textbook language arts programs. I don't particularly care for First Language Lessons or Primary Language Lessons or English for the Thoughtful Child. (Apologies to those of you who use one of the above curriculums. I don't care to alienate any of you, but I know my child and I also have some very definite ideas about teaching grammar. One of these days I should write them down.)

Here is something I am considering for composition. Opinions from anyone who has used it or even seen it would be welcome.


Comprehensive Composition
by Kathryn L. Stout, B.S. Ed., M. Ed.
Grade level: K -12 Just one volume covers grades K-12. The outlined teaching strategy encourages better writing through editing, allowing students to develop at their own pace, improving with each practice. Boredom is eliminated by choosing the type of composition and an appealing topic from among those suggested to suit the student's needs and interests. Topics include: paragraphs, essays, reports, outlines, biographies, narratives, letters, and short stories; persuasive, descriptive, expository and creative writing; choosing and narrowing a topic; content and structure skills; mechanics; and sample lessons. Use alone (it has everything you need) or as a reference. Recommended by reviewer Cathy Duffy as "one of the most concise yet comprehensive books for teaching the writing process available to home educators."

Design A Study

What does that leave? LOL

I might consider Winston Grammar. I like Wordsmith but not Wordsmith Editor. Am I hard to please, or what?

Another program I have considered in the past but never made the jump to actually ordering is from Lovetolearn.net.


Teach your children English from their own daily writing experiences in this "school journal" that I use in my own homeschool. Everyday my children write their journal entry on special lined paper that promotes good penmanship. The top of the page is left unlined for illustrating their writing. As they fix their mistakes with Mom's help, misspelled words are transferred to the spelling section for a custom-made spelling list to be practiced everyday and tested once a week. The teacher's section includes lessons to teach on creative writing, poetry, prefixes and suffixes, antonyms, abbreviations, punctuation, contractions, letter writing, and more.. Dictation is a very beneficial way to teach children to write well, so I've included selections and instructions for dictation: inspirational quotes, patriotic quotes, character building poems and scriptures. Comes in a 3 ring binder, which becomes your child's ongoing school journal year after year. At the end of the year, we take the journal pages out of the notebook and have them bound at the printer into a treasured childhood book. (The printer commented that these were so precious that he couldn't help reading a few pages!) I developed this program for my own children after years of trying different writing and language workbooks and think you'll find it works very well.

K-6 Journal and Language Arts Program

Sounds good, eh? Maybe I should just order it already!!

I did buy English from the Roots Up for vocabulary and we will be working through that slowly. I also would like to get Rummy Roots.

Ideas welcomed.

No comments: