Friday, September 5, 2014

Planning Time - History


History is easy. It's just a story.

OK, it's a really long story with multiple settings and countless characters. But still a story.

We use The Mystery of History. We are nearly done with Volume 3.

We will push hard to finish Volume 4 this year so that Emily (my senior) will be able to finish it with us.

When starting Mystery of History all those years ago, I had it in mind to do the whole thing TWICE before David graduated. Well, the books didn't come out fast enough for that. We made do and used other resources.

Suzy and James will get to do all 4 volumes twice. That's the plan.

So, for this year, we will work hard the first three weeks to finish the last few lessons of Volume 3. Then we will try to keep up the pace the rest of the year. We don't do tests or worksheets for history. It's a story and so that's how we study it.

I like to reinforce the topics with videos and hands-on projects. We also work on a timeline to put everything in order.

1 comment:

Wee Pip said...

Glad Vol 4 is out and you can use it with the last ones. I loved seeing the author of MoH in Cincinnati. I have one that enjoys the (endless) story aspect of history and one that gets very frustrated by it. It took me forever, but I finally know how to approach it with her (and its not in story form, it's in short fact form).