Tuesday, February 25, 2014

"Bible verses are not just words." or The Value of Memorizing Scripture

"Some people question the value of rote memory, and I'll admit that just memorizing words for the sake of words is of limited value. But Bible verses are not just words. We may not fully understand every verse we memorize, but the act of learning it pins it to our short-term memories. From our short-term memory, it filters into our long-term brain cells. It sinks into our subconscious minds, and as time passes the results can be dramatic.

And always dramatically good."

- from 100 Bible Verses Everyone Should Know by Heart by Robert J. Morgan

1 comment:

Wee Pip said...

Nice quote! I have seen the payoff of my kids memorizing scriptures over the years. Z is in her last year of awana, and I hate to think that our scripture memorizing days are over - so I'll have to come up with a plan to continue memorizing. We're memorizing Ephesians 6 this year at cc using a beautiful song, and it's wonderful to hear my kids sing it. It really helps our moods when cleaning or doing undesireable jobs!