Tuesday, January 1, 2008

History Plans Completed (and Math Info)

Another subject completed - one of my favorites - History! We are doing some American history this year.

We've already read The Light and the Glory for Children (and I read the adult version). We are now just a few chapters into From Sea to Shining Sea for Children. (Again I am reading the adult version.) We'll finish the school year with Sounding the Trumpet for Children, which will take us to the year 1860. (All of those books are by Peter Marshall and David Manuel.) I've got all 3 activity books and I will be photocopying some pages from those to go along with our reading.

I've also got a book called American Adventures: True Stories from America's Past 1770-1870 and I will be integrating selections from that book as well.

Mostly our history work is me reading the chapter aloud while the children color a coloring sheet that goes along with the information. There are discussion questions for each chapter, so we'll cover those. Sometimes I'll integrate a picture book or a movie that goes along with the topic - like Star-Spangled Banner by Peter Spier or the Liberty's Kids DVD's that we have. The books include several games and some map work so that will be included and we also work on an ongoing timeline that we started with Mystery of History Volume 1.

If we haven't come to the end of May yet when that's complete, I'll pull out some Civil War stuff I have and we'll work on that.

Next year, we'll go back to Mystery of History and begin Volume 2. (I am looking to buy it used, if anyone has one to sell!)

So, there's history!

I'm not going to do a separate entry for Math for two reasons.
One - Bob teaches it, not me.
Two - it doesn't require any planning other than to make sure they have their books.

Here's what they're doing:

David - Math-U-See Pre-Algebra - he's on Lesson 14.
Emily - Math-U-See Gamma - she's on Lesson 9.
James - Math-U-See Beta - he's on Lesson 24 (need to get Gamma for him!)
Suzy - working on beginning addition concepts and counting by 2's, 5's, 10's. We don't have a curriculum for her - just random worksheets and practicing with Daddy.

No comments: