Tuesday, May 9, 2006

Convention Purchases

Well, from my report about the convention (below), you can probably tell that I don't go to conventions for the shopping, although I realize many people do. I like to look in the vendor hall, but more often than not, it overwhelms me.

I go to seminars for the "experience" - the seminars, the friends, the night out, etc....

That said, I did find some things to buy! Here they are:
  • "markerboard" number line marked 0-25
  • soda bottle bird feeder adaptor
  • Trees of Michigan field guide (our summer "unit" will be tree identification)
  • Zeta Math U See complete set (David has already started it)
  • Beta Math U See student books (for James when he finishes Alpha)
  • Discovering Great Artists: Hands-on Art for Children in the Styles of the Great Masters (to replace the art we are doing now)
  • My First Book of Cutting - Kumon (for Suzy so she stops cutting hair, pants, etc...)
  • Explode the Code book 2 - for James, since I don't have Alphabet Island 2A right now
  • Jonathan Park Volume 1 audio CD's
  • Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends: How to Fight the Good Fight at Home! by Sarah, Stephen and Grace Mally
  • You Can Paint Watercolors: A Step by Step Guide for Absolute Beginners by Alwyn Crenshaw
  • a paint with water book (for Suzy)
  • My Book Report Journal - ELP (for Emily next year)
  • subscriptions to Hopscotch for Girls, Fun for Kidz, Boys' Quest (bimonthly magazines to replace God's World News, which none of us really find too enthralling)
  • a place marker thing for James' reading
  • a DeVos for Governor bumpersticker :-) (actually free!)
  • Dover coloring book - Warriors of the Ages
  • Dover coloring book - Landmarks of the Ancient World
Stuff I had hoped to find but didn't:
  • Analytical Grammar (have to SEE it before spending that kind of money, but after hearing Andrew Pudewa, I am pretty much determined to not do any formal grammar at this point)
  • How to Write Book Reports (Resurrection Resources)
  • Writing Step-by-Step (Builder Books)
  • Greek Alphabetarion (Trivium Pursuit)
  • Piano for Quitters
  • Scripture Memory Fellowship books
  • Fun Projects for Hands-on Character Building - Boyer
  • More Rummy Roots card game
  • Lyrical Life Science
  • Even the Sound Waves Obey Him
  • ArtWorks for Kids
  • Student's Guide to Keeping an Art Journal
  • Jon Gnagy Learn to Draw set
  • Teaching History Through Art
  • Alphabet Island 2A workbook
I wouldn't have purchased all that, but I wanted to see it before ordering.

Stuff I looked at and decided not to get:
  • Wordly Wise
  • Considering God's Creation (still plan to get it, but wanted to wait to spend the $$ or see if I can find it used)
  • Hittite Warrior/God King and other historical novels (just can't spend the money on that!)
  • Diana Waring tapes or CD's (again, still want to get them eventually)
  • Homeschool in the Woods timeline figures (too expensive, and I like how we do our timeline just fine right now)
  • Come Look with Me: Enjoying Art with Children (beautiful book, but I needed something more in-depth)
  • Jensen's Grammar (wasn't impressed)
  • Progeny Press and Total Language Plus literature guides (Maryann has a bunch I can borrow! lol)
  • Rosetta Stone (just can't spend $200 on it right now!)
  • Squire and the Scroll (will get it someday)
  • 100 Top Picks - Duffy (will buy it eventually)
So, there you go! My adventures in convention spending. :-)

No comments: