Monday, December 21, 2009

Oh Fudge!

From 2009-12-17
We were given this fudge kit. I usually make the Marshmallow Creme Fantasy Fudge. I don't remember trying this Carnation recipe before. The recipes aren't too dissimilar, actually, but I am far more likely to have marshmallows in the house than marshmallow creme.

It turned out really well! Pretty easy recipe too! You don't need the kit. The recipe is below and the ingredients are nothing fancy.

I made five kinds of fudge this year - four from this recipe. I made plain chocolate (chocolate chips), chocolate walnut (chopped walnuts added to the plain chocolate recipe), Cherry White Chocolate (1 cup cherry baking morsels and 1 cup white chocolate baking morsels), and Butterscotch (substituted butterscotch morsels for the chocolate chips). I bought the cherry morsels at Walmart, I think.

Here it is.
Carnation Famous Fudge

Ingredients:

Directions:

LINE 8-inch-square baking pan with foil.

COMBINE sugar, evaporated milk, butter and salt in medium, heavy-duty saucepan. Bring to a full rolling boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil, stirring constantly, for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

STIR in marshmallows, morsels, nuts and vanilla extract. Stir vigorously for 1 minute or until marshmallows are melted. Pour into prepared baking pan; refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. Lift from pan; remove foil. Cut into 48 pieces.

FOR MILK CHOCOLATE FUDGE:
SUBSTITUTE
1 3/4 cups (11.5-oz. pkg.) NESTLE® TOLL HOUSE® Milk Chocolate Morsels for Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels.

FOR BUTTERSCOTCH FUDGE:
SUBSTITUTE
1 2/3 cups (11-oz. pkg.) NESTLE® TOLL HOUSE® Butterscotch Flavored Morsels for Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels.

FOR PEANUTTY CHOCOLATE FUDGE:
SUBSTITUTE
1 2/3 cups (11-oz. pkg.) NESTLE® TOLL HOUSE® Peanut Butter & Milk Chocolate Morsels for Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels and 1/2 cup chopped peanuts for pecans or walnuts.

Pretty easy! I divided up the results for gift-giving to my family and reports are favorable!

I forgot to take pictures of the fudge before I packaged it up, but I did save some for my family so I will try to remember to photograph it before it is consumed.
From 2009-12-17

The other fudge I made is Candy Bar fudge.
Ingredients:
6 (2.07 ounce) bars Snickers ® candy
3 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter (no substitutes)
2/3 cup evaporated milk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
1. Line a 9-in. square pan with foil. Butter the foil and set pan aside. Cut candy bars into 1/2-in. slices; set aside.
2. In a heavy saucepan, bring sugar, butter and milk to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 234 degrees F (soft-ball stage), about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in chocolate chips, marshmallow creme and vanilla until smooth. Pour half into prepared pan. Sprinkle with candy bar slices. Top with remaining chocolate mixture and spread evenly. Let stand at room temperature to cool. Lift out of pan and remove foil. Cut into squares.
Next time I make this, I think I'll try a bigger pan. Not sure if 9x13 would be too big, but this filled the 8x8 pan really full and made the fudge pieces rather thick. Of course, that's not necessarily a BAD thing. lol

Go make some fudge! It's easy and yummy and festive. And if you need a gift idea, this is a good one!

No comments: