Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Math "Switch"

Decided to switch all the kids to Switched-on Schoolhouse for math. Mainly this is a record-keeping choice. I just need to save time wherever I can and if SOS will grade math for me, that's one thing I don't have to figure into my day. It's the thing that always gets left behind anyway, when time is tight, and then I end up WAAAAAYYYY behind on it.

So, David and Emily have been taking the placement tests online and as soon as I can figure out how to add James and Suzy to my already-created account (should be easier than it is), they will take them as well. I assume Suzy will start with grade 3, but I have no idea where to put James or Emily.

I've enjoyed Math-U-See and still would use it in a perfect world. But in a world where the mom has to work 4-5 hours of every school day, that same mom has to go for time-saving procedures wherever possible.

I think I am also going to use SOS Science - Chemistry for David next year and someone gifted us with a 7th grade Science Emily is going to use. I may have James work through that one as well. Or I will get him another level if it's too difficult.

2 comments:

Wee Pip said...

I hope it goes well for you! I know you'll probably glance at that screen and think, "MUS does it sooo much better." But even so, your kids are still getting a great education, & there is nothing wrong with SOS. (Hey, the Duggars use it, & look how nice their kids are! lol) I've been considering using SOS for something (LA, sci or history? I just can't let go of math yet!) My kids are really deprived of a teacher this year. I'm eager to see how this works out for you. Maybe you'll love it, or maybe it will be just the thing for this season in your life.

Niffercoo said...

Sounds like a great plan, Lisa!!