Monday, June 20, 2011

Mapping the World by Heart

One of the things I am going to do with the kids this summer is Mapping the World by Heart. I've been reading about this curriculum for years, and a discount buy on Homeschool Buyer's Co-op induced me to purchase it for this summer. Our co-op was planning to do this as a class, but the course didn't make the cut after member voting.

Here's an introductory video to the curriculum.


In case you don't have the patience to sit through the video, the goal of the program is to teach kids to draw detailed maps by heart. Suzy is a bit young for the program, as it is designed for grades 5-12, but she could do it again when she's older if need be.

So, check back at the end of summer for our completed maps. I've offered to pay the kids for their maps in order to make the geography time more palatable. Until then, here are a couple samples of maps done by middle school students (more samples HERE):



2 comments:

Mrs.Haggie810 said...

That looks really awesome. I wish I would have been taught with a program like that when I was younger, because sadly, I don't even know my Geography as well as I should. I can't wait to see their maps!

Wee Pip said...

Those are lovely sample maps! We were attempting to recreate Geography as described in a book, The Core by Leigh Bortins. I think there may be similarities to Mapping the World by Heart, but I don't really know. I'd love to compare! We've really neglected our geography, but I hope to improve.