Tuesday, December 18, 2012

NaNoWriMo 2012 Report

Things I learned from NaNoWriMo this year
1 - I should have a plot outline before November 1st.
2 - I work better under pressure.
3 - I can write 10,000 words in one day.
4 - I should really try harder to let other commitments go during November.
5 - I love write-ins but they are often more social than productive. 

November 30, 2012 marks my sixth win for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). My oldest child, a high school senior, has participated for five years and my other three children have four years under their belts. 

Children can participate in the Young Writer's Program which allows them to set their own goals. My two youngest did that this year. My ten-year-old wrote 5,000 words - maybe about 2/3 of that was on her own and maybe 1/3 of it was dictated - a HUGE accomplishment for her! My twelve-year-old (who turned 13 the day after NaNo ended) wrote 20,000 words. The two oldest, both in high school, managed the entire 50,000 to win as adults.

To make that happen, I make novel-writing the bulk of their language arts curriculum during November. I did assign more language arts this year than I have in the past for various reasons. Prizes measure the progress for the kids, ranging from candy to a large prize for "winning".

No comments: