Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Try-It Tuesday: Combatting Boredom

I almost forgot today was Tuesday!

My eight-year-old son came to me this afternoon complaining of boredom. Perhaps you have faced a similar situation?

I had already taken the kids to a program at the library and to a playground for a couple of hours with friends. So, I was quite unsympathetic to his plight and encouraged him to find something to DO. It didn't work, as I am sure you have guessed. I suggested several things, but all ideas were met with resistance.

About to give up and assign him some chores instead, my eyes lit upon a likely-looking book on the end table.



Surely this volume would contain the answer to our quest for something to fill the long lonely hours of a sticky summer afternoon....

We perused the pages and after considering several activities, he decided upon the age-old experiment of mixing oil, water, and food coloring in a bottle. That didn't take long, and before I knew it he was back again.

Needing to finish my work, I grasped at straws and finally hit upon something I thought might work.

"Go out and ask your dad for nails, wood, and a hammer!"

His eyes lit up and out he quickly went, banging into the doorframe on the way.

I was able to work for nearly an hour when he came in, triumphantly bearing THIS creation.









He spent quite some time excitedly describing his creation and then asked for the camera, proceeding to take a video of it, explaining it again for the benefit of the video.

And there you have it! The cure for boredom - at least today, for this child. What cures boredom in YOUR house?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, James' creation is so cool! Love, Mom

Wee Pip said...

Cool creation!
After a day of being secret agents at the park yesterday, my kids were bored, too.

Anonymous said...

Great masterpiece, James!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the creative freedom you handed him!

I can picture his excitiment--plowing into the doorframe! I bet he didn't even care!!!

I am really enjoying this blog!

Your pal, Mich