Saturday, June 7, 2008

Summer Off

Usually we continue our home education year-round, but this year we formally finished the Friday before Memorial Day. :::cheers::::

We won't begin again until after Labor Day. ::::cheers again::::

This has been the most difficult year of homeschooling I have ever done because of working full time on the afternoon shift. Most of it has been merely focusing on the basics - Bible, Math, Reading, Writing. And that's ok! I really am ok with it (even if you are not! lol), but I want to get back to my more complete version of learning at home next year.

To keep the kids learning over the summer months, I have introduced an incentive plan. (It's not a "bribe" since the dictionary tells me that a bribe is "an inducement to dishonest behavior," which doing lessons certainly is NOT.)

The kids can earn money for each lesson they complete - up to 2 math lessons per week, up to 3 hours of instructional reading per week (from a list I will provide and including journalling about the reading), and up to one personal letter written correctly per week.

They are all quite fascinated by the idea, especially the older two. The money will likely be used for garage saling, since we try to do that once every week.

They will mostly be able to do their work independently, leaving my mornings free for WRITING.

No comments: