Thursday, May 11, 2006

"I can read this whole book!"

Today David and Suzy had doctor's appointments at 9 am, so the only school we managed to accomplish was Reading and Math. However, David and Suzy both had Health class, too! :-)

I wanted to post about a moment that gladdened my heart! I signed out a couple of easy reader books at the library the other day. You know the kind - Mat the Rat sat on a cat.... Anyway, I knew James could read them, but I just put them on the library shelf with the other books, instead of pointing them out and calling them "school". That was last week sometime.

So, today, he brings me one of them and announced proudly "I can read this whole book!" He was SO pleased! I would not have taken away that moment for anything.

He loves the Explode the Code workbook I got for him at the conference - it is book 2, which adds blends and digraphs to short vowel words. He is really on his way to reading well! I am so pleased that I waited until HE was ready and excited about learning to read. We have not had any problems at all about it; he has enjoyed it from Day One.

No comments: