Tuesday, July 19, 2005

A Mom Just Like Me?

Like me? Vickie Farris? Her husband is a lawyer for HSLDA. She has 10 kids. She even had a NANNY! How could she be like me? I wondered this for a long while before I was convinced by the women at MOMYS to give the book a try. So glad I did!

Vickie and her adult daughter Jayme co-wrote the book because Vickie says, "Ordinary moms don't have time to write books." (I hope to prove her wrong later this summer! lol) The ideas are Vickie's and the execution is mostly Jayme's, apparently.

I will admit right now that I skipped chapters 3 and 4 - A Matter of Surrender: Learning to Trust God with My Family Size and Miscarriage, Menopause, and the Rest of My Story. I was of the Quiver-Full mentality for a while and no longer follow that philosophy. I figured I knew what she was going to say and I didn't really feel like spending time to read something that I knew I was going to disagree with.

Other than those chapters, I found the book to be extremely practical and highly motivational. Vickie is candid about her difficulties and her accomplishments. She describes situations with her children that I am sure many of us could identify with, such as talking to her eleven-year-old daughter about courtship or feeling overwhelmed with children ages 8, 6, and 3 and being pregnant with the 4th.

Vickie and her husband Mike make it a priority to lead godly lives and to pass that attitude on to their children. This book encourages all Christian homeschooling families to allow God to be in control. If you are looking for a motivational read that will remind you why you are homeschooling and renew your zeal, this book can do it! And it turns out that, yes, Vickie Farris IS a lot like me! And probably a lot like YOU too!

A Mom Just Like You (2000)
Vickie Farris and Jayme Farris Metzgar

No comments: